Here, I am talking about Kali Linux. The same steps can be followed for any latest versions of Linux distributions. Update your Kali Linux and Install Required Packages for VMware Workstation
1. Login into your server as root or non-root user with sudo privileges and run the following commands to keep your system up-to-date. Related Article How to Install Kali Linux 2.0 Sana in VMware Workstation Step-by-Step Guide
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
2. Run the commands below to install required packages for VMware Workstation to run properly.
apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
Download VMware Workstation Binaries
1. Download the VMware Workstation software binary from VMware official site. You will download script file like “VMware-Workstation-Full*.bundle”, by default this installer script file downloaded without execute permission, so you will need to give it in later step.
2. Go to the directory which contains the VMware Workstation binary file. File looks like “VMware-Workstation-Full*.bundle”.
3. Give execute permission for this installer file.
chmod +x VMware-Workstation-Full*.bundle
Next, run the command below to begin the installation of VMware Workstation inside Kali Linux 2
Once the installer is running, you see the following window the screen. Accept the license agreement to continue. After installing, go to Unity Dash and launch VMware workstation.